21 October 2013

Bandemic

L-R: T. Idol, Figueroa, Sheena and Force.
Yesterday I caught a really good band performing at the American Cancer Society’s 16th annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in Balboa Park. 

Bandemic is a Rancho Bernardo based cover band that plays pop, dance and rock music.  

The minute I heard them playing the B52's “Love Shack”, complete with the infamous “Tiiiiin roof – rusted!” lyric, I went straight home, got my cell phone camera, pad and pen, then I fast-walked back to the park to listen and take notes.
    
They weren't the tightest band in the world on Sunday and lead singer Sheena’s vocals could have been a bit more consistent pitch wise.  

It didn’t make any difference though.  She went for it anyway.  Bandmates Walker Force (lead guitar), Tim T. Idol (guitar), Paul Klecka (bass) and Marlon Figueroa (drums) followed right along with her on every song. 

L-R: Klecka and T. Idol
“Play That Funky Music” by Wild Cherry, “Are You Gonna Go My Way” by Lenny Kravitz and the "Forget You" version of Cee Lo Green’s “F**k You” song were immediately recognizable with enough of a groove to make you dance and smile. 

When they counted in to “Everybody Talks", by Neon Treesthat was it for me.  I started dancing in place, giving a light pop rock head bang as I took notes.

There’s nothing like listening to rock and roll music played by a band that really goes for it.  Awesome.

Photos: Renée Westbrook

No comments:

Post a Comment