15 December 2011

Prince Riff

I’ve not yet seen Prince play live which greatly disappoints me.  I hear he gives fantastic show and his “friends”, known in less purple circles as fans, are totally respectful while they’re going completely mad for his music.

Not only is he a great songwriter, but he’s one of the best blues, R&B, punk, punk funk, and soul guitar players on the planet.  He is also one of the greatest rock lead guitar players in the history of rock music.

Have you ever listened to “Bambi” and “Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?”  I mean really listened to them?  The 1970s production values make them come off a bit thin but they totally rip.  Couple those very same chord progressions and melodies with today’s digital technology and it’s all shred city baby.   All shred city.

I don’t care what kind of clothes or shoes he wears and I’m not interested in who he dates.  All I care about is joining the ranks of respectfully mad friends who get totally lost in the Wop dance as he plays “I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man”. 

Cool. 

Renée Westbrook

No comments:

Post a Comment