28 June 2011

Yearning For Good Old G N' R

When “VH1’s 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs” gave the top honor to “Welcome To The Jungle” this weekend, I started thinking about how much I miss the early sound of Guns N' Roses.  That snotty, raw I don’t give a crap-I got nothing to lose-I’m homeless so screw it sound that fed our appetite for a new form of old school hard rock.

I had the opportunity to see them when they opened for the Rolling Stones’ Steel Wheels Tour at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in 1989.  Living Colour opened first, G N' R followed.  As if the bill wasn’t packed enough, Eric Clapton showed up as a surprise guest during the Stones' set.

It was mega rock star massive.  Slash thrashed his way around the stage.  Axl almost blew the sound system out and Duff?  I never realized how solid a bass player he was until that night.   

Best tune in the set:  a cover of Bob Dylan’s “Knockin' On Heaven’s Door”.

- Renée Westbrook

No comments:

Post a Comment